Wouldn't it be great if life were like a tv sitcom and every time we, as mothers, did something great we could hit the applause button and hear the validation? This is the image I have in my head as I go through the mundane tasks of laundry, dishes, and on occasion the extraordinary task of mopping the floors.
Its sad when you break out the mop and the kids gaze up at it in complete confusion..."Hmmm that thing looks familiar, but can't remember why". Aralyn was so excited to see the water go on the floor, she danced along side me as I scraped away at what life leaves behind as we hurry through it.
Every time I finally break down and put the mop to the floor I curse myself for putting it off so long. The internal dialog goes something like this "damn spaghetti sauce from a week ago, if only I had scrubbed it then! Damn glitter stuck to the spaghetti stain from a week ago, if only I had picked up the glitter from the table as soon as we were finished. Damn dog hair that is stuck to everything, if only I would bath the damn dog he wouldn't shed so bad!" and on and on and on...
The thing is I have perfected the art of procrastination. It has taken me a lifetime to do. To go back now and undo years of practice and become organized, neat, and punctual would be untrue to myself. Not that I enjoy this aspect of my life but I seem happiest when I accept this flaw and work around it. So much stress is involved in portraying a put together person, I hate putting on this show.
So as to grow and not be complacent with myself at this point in my life I will continue to strive for a clean house, one that remains clean even on a day I don't spend hours upon hours cleaning it. It is helpful to have goals, it is fulfilling to get closer to them each day, it is not worth it to dwell on failure, and it is days like today when a goal is set and met that I am in need of the applause button.
Love this! It rang so true for me today... I needed to know that there are others out there like me.
ReplyDeleteI love this! Thanks for writing. I feel better now about my week-old spaghetti sauce and glitter!!
ReplyDelete