Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I am "that" mom

I was inspired by this post on a friend's blog and wanted to share my own mothering pride.

It is not about being the perfect mother, nor is it about the right way to raise a child. It is about doing what you as the mother feel is right, for you and for your family. This is different for every family, and that is why I love reading other mothering blogs and why I chose to start my own. What works for me and my kids is personal and unique to us. Most of my ideas and concepts have come from watching other families thrive, I take from others and tailor things to fit our lifestyle. So below is my testimony as to the kind of mother I feel I am or hope to be most times. Enjoy and please share you own testimony!

I am that mother who finds something that works and wonders why the whole world isn't doing it, then at some point steps back and gets a reality check.

I am that mother who will often put her foot in her mouth. I don't know how many times I have claimed success with something only to find poop on the floor the next day ;)

I am that mother who will admit mistakes, and laugh them off. Life is a journey and the path is riddled with obstacles that you will at some point trip over, if you can't get up, dust off, smile and move on you will constantly be kicking rocks!!

I am that mother who enjoys having her two babes close through the night and then complains all the next morning about the lack of sleep.

I am that mother who sometimes allows Cheetos for breakfast.

I am that mother who sees the beauty and purpose behind a day spent hiding under the covers from the 'monster' outside.

I am that mother who hopes to fuel my child's imagination and will try everything to prevent a realistic approach to what the "real world" is like.

I am that mother who enjoys having her kids home with her ALL the time. I am also that mother who enjoys time spent away from her kids on occasion.

I am that mother who yells, reacts, and lashes out from a place of sleep deprivation and reached limits. I am also that mother who apologizes when that happens and then spends a day on the couch watching movies to make up for it.

I am that mother who respects her children as individual souls who have have ideas of their own.

I am that mother who listens to her children, and doesn't rely on doctors/teachers/authors to tell her what they need.

I am that mother with a good gut instinct, who follows her heart.

I am that mother who still breastfeeds her toddler because she ask for it and hopes to continue until she stops asking.

I am that mother who refuses to harbor regret and sees each failure as a learning experience. I am constantly growing as a mother, wife, daughter, friend, sister, aunt, and woman.

I am that mother who loves being a mother and sees my children as a gift from God. I feel truly blessed to be trusted with these two souls, I hope to never take that for granted, and I give thanks daily for this opportunity.

I am that mother who can always do better, who has much more to learn, and who will never stop growing.

I am that mother who does the best she can do with what she has been given, and the knowledge that she posses at the time.

I am that mother who tries to live for today and rejoice in the simple pleasures in life.

I am that mother who cries because time seems to be slipping away, who loves watching her children grow, while longing to stop time and keep them in these precious moments forever.

1 comment: