Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the times are a changing.

Spring is so full of life, it is the season of re-birth. I always get antsy for change with the coming of a warm breeze, the smell of fresh cut grass, and the sounds of life all around my humble abode. I get an urge to rearrange, redecorate, and reorganize not only the house but my inner self. This spring is no different. I moved some things around in the living room today, and after I finish this cup of tea I hope to finish up with the playroom and master bedroom.

Simply changing the direction a chair faces can change my whole outlook on life, in that moment. The room suddenly feels different, even though its the same room with mostly the same substance. Its like getting a new haircut, changing the style of ones clothing, or adding a nice new pair of earrings. These outward changes have a way of fooling us, giving the appearance that real change has taken place. I may look more put together with new clothes, nice jewelry, and a new up do, but inside I am still the same mess I was when falling out of bed that morning. But its nice to relax in the rocking chair and enjoy a different view. There is a new perception that comes with this different angle. A new appreciation for the beauty that was always there yet hidden from view.

Maybe these outward changes are necessary for a deeper sense of transition. It starts with a new bracelet and evolves to a new sense of self. The key, I think, is to bring the deeper sense of self that has been acquired to the forefront so that the bracelet is no longer necessary and the beauty is ever present. To be happy with the room as is. To notice the beauty at any and every angle. To look through the wall, at the bigger picture that lies beyond, as opposed to wondering what color the wall should be, or where that vase should rest.

Happy Spring Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment