Friday, January 14, 2011

Starting the new year with new goals and old habits.

We are temporarily without a computer right now and while I have the use of this borrowed one for the day, I have much to catch up on. One is updating here what has been going with us as we have ended one year and jumped right into another. I will expand on some of these updates later, mainly the gluten free diet we have switched Isaac (and by default the whole family) to.

Our 2010 ended with many changes starting to take place. The past year has been about personal growth and change for our family. I have said goodbye to my little babies this year and welcomed time with two very independent children. I have said goodbye to once close friends and fellow activist that have left me searching out a new path to making a difference here in my own little community. We said goodbye to a very dear old friend, a four legged long time, family member that has left our family with quite the hole to fill. Nat and I said goodbye to any idea that this house (or our own bed for that matter) belong solely to us. Our house has very slowly become completely taken over by the little members of this house. There is evidence around every corner that they are here and plan to stay awhile. We have given up on our somewhat illogical ideas that our bed is for us and us only and have welcomed both children (and a new dog) to share in nighttime security with us as they need. We have said goodbye to Gluten in our diets (at least mostly, the occasional slip still happens). We have cut but on our dairy consumption, now indulging in yummy almond milk over cows milk, and cutting down on cheeses and creams in meals and snacks. In the aftermath of that goodbye we have seen a new child emerge in Isaac. He has become less spastic, easier to communicate with, and much more sociable with his peers. The rest of us are also benefiting from this, essentially low carb, low sugar, limited diary diet. The next phase of this change will be to develop better daily routines and exercise more. One thing at a time though.

The year of 2011 is to be a year of transition. I don't expect it to be an easy year, I anticipate many challenges ahead that our family will strive to overcome, together. With an uncertain future concerning our income, my crossing over from birth activist to labor support person, Isaac and Aralyn entering the world of homeschooling, and our new puppy learning the ropes it is to be a year of working to move forward. As with any transition phase it might be hard at times and I am sure I will be tempted to give up, however having been through many really hard and trying transitions in the past I know the purpose in seeing it through. I know the feeling on the other side and I will be honing in on those memories this next year, digging deep inside to find the strengths to get through these challenges ahead. There will be much on the other side of this year that will be worth hard work and perseverance.

So here is to 2011, the year of transtions for these Shamburgers. Bring it on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment