Thursday, June 3, 2010

Prioritizing

Okay so prioritizing has never been my strong suit. I am a chronic procrastinator, very bad time manager, and obsessive compulsive. weird mix, I know. Once I start something I become very obsessed with that task. I over plan, over think, and usually over do it. So after much self reflecting I came to the conclusion that the problem is most with priorities. If I can mange to put more focus on the things that I normally procrastinate on I can over plan, over think, and over do the things that really matter.

The biggest obstacle in my day is computer time management. It seems this laptop acts as a black hole, I intend to simply check an email and then somehow my whole days seems to get sucked inside. It has become an addiction that I crave. I can busy myself with other activities, like house cleaning or playing with the kids but the computer weighs heavy in the back of my mind. My mind racing with things I want to look up, people I want to contact, things I need to coordinate, and so on. Last week was a real confirmation of just how bad the computer addiction is. The power cord broke and we had to wait a whole week for a new one to come in. A whole week without the computer, no access to the virtual world at my fingertips, no google to answer every silly and serious question that pop into my head, no connecting with friends over email, fb, or the LNB. While you might imagine this was a stressful and anxiety filled week you would be wrong. Quite the opposite actually. Instead of drinking my morning cup of coffee over emails I spent it watching the steam rise over the bayou, we ate breakfast on a blanket in the backyard, and then spent most of the day living life in the most simple and slow paced ways possible. It was a blissful week, the whole week seemed to drag on, which was a blessed thing. I found that chores were not as overwhelming. Instead of rushing to get everything done in between fb status updates I slowly worked through the day, a little progress here, a little there.

It became obvious to me after that week that my intention to cancelling Internet service is a good idea. The plan is to remove the black hole from the house so that other priorities can take their place. After a time we will reconnect to the outside world, hopefully by then I will have things under control and the black hole will be more of a guilty pleasure.

I do plan to keep this blog updated. I will write on the computer and copy it over to the blog when I get out and connect to the Internet. I plan to do that every other day. There are some priorities in my life that do involve an online connection and I will keep up with those things. The whole idea is to manage the computer time, to have a real purpose for getting online and utilize that time wisely.

So here is to another era of personal growth, another attempt to simplify my life and bring our family closer together. Life is too short when it flies by, I want to lengthen our days and make every moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment